Sunday, March 27, 2016

kindness does matter

In living a life for Jesus, provided by Jesus, and in love with Jesus, I have a priority to live a life as much like Jesus as I can. Unfortunately, that is not always the way I live. Like Paul, the things I want to do, I don't and the things I don't want to do, I do.

But kindness does matter.

And respectfulness does matter, even when I do not feel the person is respectable or kind, my aim at living for and like Jesus tells me to behave kindly and respectfully.

Yesterday at work there was a big old ex professional football player who was a patient on my hospital floor. Not my patient, but I did respond to his call light, an emergency light alarming due to fall risk. He was rude, mean, threatening, sarcastic and oppositional. At first I tried to reason with him. Then I recognized my abusive step father in him. I walked away. Much later I had to respond once again to his light. Putting aside my emotions I attempted to figure out how to reply to his obvious disrespect and crudeness. Then I walked away.

My feelings were not kind, my thoughts were not kind, but my actions and words were respectful. To a very unrespectable unkind bully.

Yesterday I saw instagram posts of a protest against a political decision. Nighttime visual of a young boy watching the flashing lights of police cars trying to maintain safety at a political protest he could not possibly understand. And then a picture of this child urinating on the Governor's mansion lawn, in public, at night, with a political protest going on around him. Just the photos were disturbing but in addition the comments linked with the photos were angry and lacking respect for opposing beliefs and different ideas, other people.

We really are all in this one world together. And there really are a billion multitude of differing ideals, values and opinions. It is my belief that we can behave differently, believe differently and live differently.... in love.

Yesterday a young lady I was working with read an invitation to Easter service that was with many other copies of this laying on a break room table. She tossed it down and said "at least that was a little nicer than the last flyer I read calling me a sinner destined for hell."

People, we will not positively impact others with disrespect, bullying and anger. When was the last time someone insulted your opinion, belittled your understanding or demeaned your abilities and you wanted to follow them and hear more?

Humans, like most species, migrate towards similarity, familiarity and safe environments. Humans want to share their lives with others and not feel threatened. Humans have a deep, innate need for connection and love. It is my belief that when I offer others that type of environment then I will be heard more clearly. I may not be treated with respect and kindness but I will be true to my beliefs and values and rise above hatred and anger while doing my best to pour out love and mercy and grace. Help me Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Kindness matters. In fact, it is scriptural that God's kindness is what leads us to repentance.